Question
Posted by: Marius | 2010/08/03

CONSTIPATION - JACK RUSSEL

My jack russel seems to be very constipated. Is there anything i can give him ?

Hi Marius

With mild constipation can be treated by dietary adjustment, access to fresh water, high fiber diets and the use of laxatives.

If the condition is more severe then it maybe necessary to evacuate retained feces by using an enema or manual extraction under general anesthesia with concurrent fluid/electrolytes.

Before giving any laxatives please ensure that your JRT is property hydrated .

Possible treatments:

a) High fiber supplement - 1-4 tbsp of coarse wheat bran

b) Mineral oil (10-15ml) directly into the mouth twice daily.

d)) Lactulose (2-3ml) into the mouth initially every 8 hrs and then use as needed.

For anything more complicate I would advise that you visit your local veterinary practice to determine the underlying aetiology.

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/08/03

Hi Marius

Possible treatments:

Reply to CyberVet