Question
Posted by: Annie | 2012/02/22

Constipation during diet

Doc,

Whenever I go on a diet I suffer from constipation. I started on Weighless and the first two weeks are rich in fibre but I''m still struggling. I''ve tried fibre granules as well but it''s not working. Any suggestions?

Dear Annie
Changes to one's lifestyle including one's diet and/or daily routine like going on a holiday or business trip, are known to cause constipation in some persons. This may be due to the change in routine and/or lack of dietary fibre and sometimes of fat in the diet. If in your case, you are using the Weighless diet which is rich in dietary fibre, then it is possible that you lack lubrication in the form of oil. Try having 1-3 teaspoons of flaxseed oil or olive oil a day to see if this will help you to become regular again. Otherwise eat some soaked and boiled prunes with your breakfast as one of your fruit portions because dried fruit also has a laxative effect.
I do hope you will manage to restore your regularity.

1

Dear Annie