Question
Posted by: sara b | 2009-04-02

constipation / diet

I had a colon infection and since then have a problem with my bowels working properly. At the time I couldnt eat properly as would get bad pains. I had to change my diet to avoid the foods which gave me cramps, so cut out fried food, white bread, and pasta. I lost alot of weight but have since gained about 6kgs, my Dr wants me to go for colonoscopy due to the constipation but I want to know what foods should i be eating to ensure my bowels work properly. I never had bowel problems before and would like to try a dietary route before anything else. I do find that my stomach works only if I eat activia yoghurt daily.
Many thanks.

Dear Sara B
I am sorry that you have been experiencing problems with your bowels after having an infection. Did anyone recommend that you should be taking probiotics or "good microorganisms'? If you read this week's DietDoc Topic on "Probiotics help for inflammatory bowel disease' and also click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read Articles 123 and 124 about healthy colon practices, you will see what to eat to keep your colon healthy. I would recommend that you try ‘Bifidoflora’ which you can buy at health shops or dietitians as a probiotic to assist with constipation.