Question
Posted by: CM | 2010/05/27

constipation after illness.

Hi Doc,
Last year mid-December I got very ill with severe fever for a couple days and severe diarrhoea. After a short course of anitbiotics, the fever went, but I still had very bad cramping and diarrhoea that eventually had me passing pure blood (tablespoons at a time). This stayed like this for about another two days. I was unable to see a doc about this as it was over Christmas. It anyway cleared up quickly thereafter.
The problem now is that I''ve had constipation every day since then (I struggle to pass much and it is almost always as small round pieces). I''ve never before had constipation and my diet has not changed. I''ve recently taken Movicol for a week (once a day) and it of course loosened the stools, but I''m actually having less frequent bowel movements now and in very small amounts. I have also developed almost intolerable flatulence and a general discomfort in my abdomen in the last few days.
What could possibly be causing the constipation (when I''m not taking Movicol)?

CM

Hallo CM
Please see your GP about this, any change in bowel habits, especially if you had blood in the stools, is a reason for a thorough examination of the colon, as it could be related to inflammatory bowel disease or cancer. You may need a x/ray of the bowel (barium enema) or a colonoscopy.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/05/27

Hallo CM