Question
Posted by: Noma | 2012/01/25

Constipation

I have been strugllign with constipation and now its getting worse as I am having it every second or third day. I tried eating Kellogs fibre and eating prunes but there is no change. Is there something I can do or use?

Dear Noma
There are many people who only have a motion every 2nd or 3rd day and are perfectly normal. However, if you pass hard and painful stools, then it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup just ensure that you don't have a medical problem. If you are given a clean bill of health by the dr, then I would suggest that you keep on eating high-fibre breakfast cereal together with half a cup of boiled prunes or other dried fruit plus some wheat bran (buy at health shop of chemist). Start off by adding 1 teaspoon of the wheat bran to your cereal per day; add an addition teaspoon of the bran every 2-4 days until you are having 2 tablespoons a day. It is important to add this additional dietary fibre Gradually to your diet otherwise you may develop bloating and winds. The fibre should ensure regularity. For additional advice, click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy GI tract’ section. Read the articles on ‘Probiotics’ too because the use of ‘good microorganisms’ can help a lot with constipation. Best regards

1

Dear Noma