Posted by: Tersia | 2011-09-21

Hi Doc what are the pro''s and con''s w.r.t taking medication for constipation.
I have a problem since being on diet although i take high fibre bran etc.and drink lots of water I am still constipated.

I would appreciate your guidance.

Laxative abuse can cause intestinal paralysis, irritable bowel syndrome, pancreatitis, renal failure and other problems.

It is common to become constipated when dieting, as the volume of food is so much less. Rather eat six small meals per day. The increase volume of food will cause an increased volume of stools, which will in turn stimulate bowel movement. To get your stools going, you can take milk of magnesia, if you do need a laxative, as it is very safe. Also increase your fluid intake, as well as fibre intake.