Question
Posted by: nosipho | 2010/02/24

constipation

I suffer from chronic constipation despite eating foods that are high in fibre, drinking at least 2L of water daily and taking the 9 strain probiotics.The main problem is that I never feel the urge to go. Sometimes two weeks can go by without having any bowel movement. When i do feel the urge, it''s always accompanied by cramps and my stool is always very soft. I also pass a lot of foul gas. I''ve elimated fresh milk products from my diet and this has helped with the gas but I''m still constipated. Laxatives do not help. I''ve also tried movicol and glycerine suppositories. The movicol did not help but i do get some relief from the glycerine suppositories. But with the glycerine suppositories, i get the urge immediately after inserting and can not wait the recommended 15 min because my intestines start to spasm and i suffer from cramps. I also slightly loose feeling in my legs while I have a movement. I''m 24 yrs and also suffer from hypothyroidism (I take eltroxin 0.15mg a day). the only time I had a bowel movement almost everyday was when I was being overmedicated for the hypothyroidism(0.2mg eltroxin) and my TSH was 0.013. Please help, I''m tired of being asked if I''m pregnant because I''m so bloated

Hallo Nosipho
If you have very soft stools, are bloated, and do not go regularly, you may have a spastic colon. One does not have to have a bowel movement every day - 3 times a week is quite normal. Thyroid hormones play an important role in constipation - are your blood levels normal? It may be worth your while to see a gastroenterologist for some tests (like a barium follow-through) to see if they can find a reason for the bloating and slow bowel action.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/02/24

Hallo Nosipho

Reply to cyberdoc