Posted by: Vlam | 2009-10-07

Hello DietDoc 

This is a response to your response yesterday... No I am not on the Dr Atkins Diet - was on that about 7 year ago and my doctor told me to go of it as it made the constipation worse. He the told me to use Fybogel - that worked for a couple of days then it stopped working. He also prescribed (can' t remember the name) Blue sachets - tastes like salt water - also helped for a couple of days only. I tried all types of high fibre food as I knwo that it is supposed to be good for you I still eat oats in the morning at the office (I cannot use milk - makes me sick) IF I have bread - it is whole weat bread - but even with all this I will only pass stool MAYBE every 2nd week - IF I' m lucky I will pass once a week. The reason why I drink so much water is because I am always VERY thursty and my urine stays a darker shade of yellow (a sign of dehidration) - so it is not by choice... I was tested for diabetic about a month ago and the results was normal. I will try your advice and if all alse fails I will go see a Gastroenterologist. Thank you

Dear Vlam
Thank you for the feedback. From what you say, you really should see a Gastroenterologist because you may have an underlying physical problem that prevents you from passing normal stools. It is not the fact that you only pass a stool every 2 weeks, there are plenty of people who are perfectly normal and only pass a stool every 10-14 days, but what worries me is that you are passing dry stools that damage your gi tract. Try the dried fruit and the probiotics, but give this treatment some time to work and don't get frantic if you don't pass a stool every day. Let's first get your stools to be softer so they don't hurt or damage you. By the way, oats are not ideal for counteracting constipation because they contain what is called "soluble fibre" which is good for lowering blood cholesterol, but does not stimulate the bowel. For that you need wheat fibre like in All Bran and wholewheat bread which contains insoluble fibre.
I do hope you will manage to produce soft stools now.