Question
Posted by: Vlam | 2009-10-06

Constipation

PLEASE HELP!!! I started struggling with constipation since the age of 12. Yes, I am a bit overweight by about 7kg however I am on a diet and lost 6kg' s to date. The problem is constipation. I started training again which obviously helps a bit with the constipation.. However a couple of weeks ago my tummy stopped going for about 2 weeks, when I eventually managed to go, I tore... I saw my GP and she gave me ointments etc to help with the problem - it is beter now although I still truggle to go to the toilet as it is still sore. The problem is that I cannot eat fibre food - as it worsens constipation. As a result of my diet I DO drink about 8 to 9 litres of water a day. Is there another diet I can try to help me with constipation and is not going to block me up even more?

Dear Vlam
I am so worried about you. You should not have to struggle with constipation to the point that you damage yourself when you do have a motion. I also find it difficult to understand why you say fibre foods "worsen the constipation", because exactly the opposite should be true. Increasing your dietary fibre intake (all bran, wholewheat bread, etc) should help to make you less constipated. I don't know what type of slimming diet you are on, but if it is a variation of the Atkins diet which only contains high-protein and high-fat and no carbs then this diet will block you up totally (this is one of the reasons why I am so opposed to these high-protein diets). Please do the following: a) Buy a product called Fybogel which will help for the constipation, b) Start using a probiotic ("good microorganisms") by buying a product called "Bifidoflora" which you can buy at Health shops or from dietitians and start using it every day c) Boil dried fruit and then eat 1/2 cup with your breakfast every day, no matter what your diet prescribes, because your problem with constipation is much more serious than the overweight. d) STOP DRINKING 9 LITRES OF WATER A DAY! This is highly dangerous and can cause you all kinds of problems because if you drink 4 times more liquid per day than prescribed you will wash important electrolytes like potassium, sodium, magnesium and even calcium out of your body and you can land up with water intoxication. Just stick to 2,5 litres of liquid in TOTAL per day.
Finally if you have tried all these remedies for another 3 weeks and you are still not regular, please ask your gp to refer you to a Gastroenterologist (dr who specialises in illnesses of the digestive system) because you may suffer from an underlying physical condition that is causing the constipation.
Please take great care

1
Posted by: Charms | 2009-10-06

Hi Vlam

I dont know of any diet, but I do know of a product that has helped me a lot.

I am also a sufferer of constipation, from a very young age and I am very overweight.

Anyway, speak to your GP first if you wish to but the product is called AIM HERBAL FIBRE BLEND. It is a fibre blend powder that you mix with water and drink immediately 20 minutes before or after your meals.

It is all herbal and extremely good for you. It is available from most pharmacies, if not try look for it on the web.

Good Luck
Charms

Reply to Charms