Posted by: Sal | 2009-07-27

I don' t have a history of constipation, but for the last two weekends I haven' t had any bowel movements. The last one I had was Thursday (it is now Monday afternoon) and while I don' t feel backed up, my weight is up 2kg since Friday. I usually eat All-Bran flakes for breakfast, have at least two or three fresh fruits a day (apples, pears, etc.) and generally eat a well-balanced diet. The only thing that changes on weekends is I don' t go to gym and I indulge a little more. Should I be worried and what can I do to get my system going again?

Dear Sal
2 days without bowel movements are not something to be worried about. Some perfectly normal people only have 1 or 2 bowel movements a week in total. So if your rhythm changes over the weekend, just relax and wait for your bowels to get back to normal on their own. Using harsh laxatives can damage your normal bowel function and cause nutrient losses. Try to remember to eat some boiled, dried fruit over the weekend and you won't have this problem.