Posted by: Julie Waters | 2009-06-25

I' m 44 and I have suffered from constipation for years I can' t remember my tummy ever working on its own &  therefore I also battle to loose weight. I have to take a laxitive or my tummy does not work at all but I' m finding that I now need to keep increasing the dose to make it work. Is there anything I can do.

Dear Julie
I am sorry to hear that you seem to be losing the normal function of your bowels due to over-use of laxatives. This is alas one of the risks associated with the use of laxatives, esp harsh laxatives of pharmaceutical or herbal origin. Firstly I would recommend that you click on 'Food as medicine' and 'Healthy colon' to read about healthy colon practices that could improve your regularity. There are 4 important factors you need to keep in mind: a) You need to wean yourself of these laxatives and start out by replacing them with a gentle laxative like Fybo-gel. If you do not have a bowel movement every day, don't panic and don't reach for the harsh laxatives. b) Increase your dietary fibre intake as explained in the articles and make sure that you are having a high-fibre cereal for breakfast with 1/2 cup of boiled, dried fruit. c) Start going for walks every day for at least 30 min to stimulate your metabolism. 4) Start taking a probiotic such as Bifidoflora every day (buy at health shops).
Finally keep in mind that tt is always a good idea to consult a dietitian to assist you with weightloss and to also help you sort out your constipation. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area.
I hope this helps

Posted by: Kasandra | 2009-06-25

Linseed one teaspoon with water

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: C | 2009-06-25

If you dont mind, I would also like to give you my opinion as I had exactly the same problem until recently, had no normal bowel movement. I started eating Activia yogurt (the cereal one is delicious) in the morning and I am now naturally regular at least every second to third day, which is a huge improvement. In addition, it also helps with the boatedness. Definitely worth giving it a try. I don' t think losing weight has anything to do with constipation/regular bowel movement, or maybe it just had no effect on my weight.

Reply to C
Posted by: Anon | 2009-06-25

You are now experiencing lazy bowel syndrome which will only get worse as you take more and more to reach the same results.

Why not try using glycerine suppositories? You cant get addicted to them, they work well and there are no side effects.