Posted by: DAD | 2009-06-11

For a 20 month old toddler can a banana a day and a small stick of dry wors over the weekend cause constipation. My wife has taken these foods now away from our daugter on advise of a friends. She eats healthy otherwise but suffer from constipation a lot

Dear Dad
It is always a good idea to have a small child who is suffering with constipation checked by a Paediatrician just to make sure that she does not have an underlying physical problem that is responsible for the constipation. If the dr gives your daughter is given a clean bill of health, then you need to make a few dietary changes. Firstly she needs to have small quantities of dietary fibre, which would mean changing to brown or wholewheat bread, increasing her vegetable and fruit intake and giving her 2 tablespoons of boiled, dried fruit with her breakfast. You also need to ensure that she is having sufficient liquid (water or rooibos tea) throughout the day (2-3 cups). The use of probiotics or "good" microorganisms can also help a great deal to prevent constipation. But Infantiforte or Kiddiforte at your health shop and give her these probiotics as prescribed in the package insert. These measures should help your lassie to become more regular.

Posted by: Brad | 2009-06-17

Thank you for the great service you provide. I would like to know which should be eaten first at supper time? I have always thought that one should eat the salad first, but I have since heard that a salad should be eaten after the main course?

Reply to Brad