Question
Posted by: Desperate | 2009-01-19

Constipation

I have read through some of the articles, but they still seem not to answer my problem. I see that they say that you must eat food that is high in fibre, and that with every meal you have, you have at least 1 portion of fibre  but in your oppinion, what would you suggest is the best to take for daily fibre intake. I also see that it says that people who only have stools every 2nd day or 3 times a week does not have constipation, but what if you only have a stool every 3rd or 4th day? Further I see that they say that you must drink a lot of water, well currently I am drinking between 2 - 5 of clear water a day and do regular excersice. At the moment preparing for Argus cycle, so do a lot of spinning and walking. At the moment I try to take a medicine called Duphalex syrup every 2nd or 3rd day, but it only works in 2 or 3 days time, leaving me only with breaking up a lot of winds. What medicine could you possibly recommend to help solve my problem, see that Vital has a Colon and Hi-Fibre product or else Garlic &  Parsley. Desperate to know for a cure to work !!!

Dear Desperate
The best way to include dietary fibre is to eat High-Bran breakfast cereals in the morning, only eat wholewheat or 100% rye bread, have brown rice for supper and eat 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day. If this still does not improve the constipation then add boiled, dried fruit to your breakfast and start taking a probiotic (Intestiflora for example). The frequency of passing stools is not the criterion, but how hard they are and if they require straining to pass. If you have a soft stool only once a week and this is your normal pattern, then you are not constipated. If you insist on taking something, stick to Fybogel which is not a harsh laxative and will not destroy the natural movements of your bowel (a process called peristalsis).
Good luck with the Argus

1
Posted by: Kasandra | 2009-01-19

Try prune juice

Reply to Kasandra