Posted by: AX | 2008-12-08

I need advise badly. I am 25yrs and having trying to loose weight from 115kg down to 101kg. I exercise and drink 3lt of water. My diet is mostly salad, vegetable, protein and fruit and not much starch.

I am now suffering from not going to the toilet for about 3-5 days and when i do it is so hard and straining and only a bit comes out. I use to use chinese teas in the past for weight loss and the constipation but recently the one I use to use that made me go every morning no longer works. Last week I bought fybogel and it worked after one sachet but after 6 day of taking it nothing thereafter. I had to use suppositories to relieve myself over the weekend because it got so bad. Bought black forest tea and drank yesterday night but still nothing.

Please advise, can I use something like duphulac?

Dear AX
The problem with your diet is that you are not eating enough dietary fibre because you do not eat any high-fibre foods like unsifted cereals and wholegrains. High-protein, low-carb diets are known for the fact that they can cause severe constipation. Another possible problem can be that your colon has stopped working normally because of repeated use of the herbal tea. I would recommend that you change to a high-fibre, balanced diet to lose weight. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet. In addition, add wheat bran (buy at chemist or health shop) to your daily intake. Start with 1 teaspoon a day at breakfast and slowly increase your intake to 2-3 tablespoons a day. The use of 'good' microorganisms called probiotics (buy at chemist) can also help to normalise bowel function. If you find that you are still extremely constipated after changing to the high-fibre diet and including both wheat bran and probiotics for 1 week, then please see your medical dr because you may have developed bowel impaction.

Posted by: Keep-it-soft | 2008-12-08

My Dr say nothing wrong with laxatives. I use " Aloe laxative"  from Clicks. It is natuaral and keeps me soft.

Reply to Keep-it-soft
Posted by: Annie | 2008-12-08

Hi AX i would just like to give some advise that worked for me, i know you leaving out the starch for weightloss but try and eat All bran flakes or Hi Fiber Bran every morning that worked for me I also suffered from constipation until i went to a dietician and she worked out a eating plan with the Bran in the morning i sometimes go 2 times a day to toilet. Congrates on your weightloss keep it up you' ll get there. God Bless

Reply to Annie