Question
Posted by: Allyson Ben-Israel | 2011/04/07

Constantly starving from meds

Hi there,
I am on a few medications which apparently cause weight gain, and I have found that I am constantly starving, need huge portions of food, then need to eat again soon after.
The medications are Lyrica, Cymbalta and Tegretol.

My weight is creeping up quite quickly, what can I do??

Dear Allyson
I checked in my copy of MIMS and increased weight is listed as a side-effect for Lyrica; increased or decreased weight are listed as side-effects of Cymbalta; no mention of weight changes are listed for Tegretol. It is thus possible that the combination of these medications is causing your weight gain. Please discuss this problem with the medical doctor who prescribed these medications because he/she needs to decide if the prescriptions need to be changed or if any additional tests (e.g. tests for insulin resistance) need to be carried out. From a dietary point of view, eating a diet that is low in fat (to promote weightloss), but has a low glycaemic index (GI) should help you to stave off the hunger pangs for longer. The application of a low-fat, low-GI diet can be tricky until you are used to it, so if you find that you are not coping, please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area)to guide you through the initial stage. Click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. If you are able to do physical exercise and the dr gives permission then consider doing some form of aerobic exercise for at least 30 min a day (e.g. going for brisk walks), but only if the dr gives permission.

1

Dear Allyson