Posted by: Karen | 2011-11-09

Constant throat issues

Doc, I hope you can help. I am 34 years old. My symptoms started in beginning 2010. Started losing my voice/hoarse voice and sore throat and felt like something is stuck there. Glands in my neck swollen. I went to a GI doc as I do have Barrets and GERD. The Doc told me that I have Bulimia as the GERD can not cause my throat to be so red and inflammed for so long! Needless to say I didn''t take her diagnoses and went to see and ENT. He did Laryngoscopy and said that everything indicates acid-reflux - tonsils removed long ago. I have been taking 20mg Nexium since my 20''s.

Had Manomatry and 24hr PH-Impedance study done. All came back normal - BUT the tests were done while I was on Nexium.

I went for another opinion with a GI Specialist and he said that it is reflux from my LES not working (no Hernia) and that I should get the Nissen Fund op and then my throat should be fine.

I am desperate for a solution as my throat is really uncomfortable and I have this horrible taste in my mouth, all the time. I just don''t want to go for this Nissen procedure and my throat issues are the same!!!!

I know that I am not giving you much to work on, but according to the above info: do you also think my ENT symptoms are from reflux?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Karen

It is impossible to tell if the symptoms are from reflux. Your ENT and GI Specialist should agree on the way forward before you make a decision. Another possibility is to perform an Impedance study to evaluate the true effect of the reflux on the throat. On its own, performing the surgery will not guarantee a good outcome. I suggest your ENT should examine other possibilities for the bad taste in our mouth, as an uncontrolled post nasal drip, or perhaps dental problems.

Posted by: Karen | 2011-11-10

Doctor, just something else I need to mention: just after my ENT symptoms started I was tested for Glandular Fever and it was positive. Received IV treatments for 4 days. The other glands that were swollen all went back to normal, but the ones in my neck (I have a lot of lymph nodes swollen in my neck since then but one is a rock hard lymph under my right cheek/jaw) that has been there for almost 2 years. Not getting bigger or smaller. Just there.

Thank you kindly,

Reply to Karen