Question
Posted by: ADRENALINE | 2010/07/22

Constant surge of adrenaline throughout the day for no apparent reason.

Can you please assist? I have a constant and repeated surge of adrenaline throughout the day for no apparent reason. This happens every day: if the phone rings my heart will start pounding  I’ ll get into the car and as soon as I close the door my heart races, my arms become numb, my hands shake and I feel like I’ m about to die. If I walk into a shopping mall, or go to the gym, or if people invade “ my space”  etc .. It feel like I’ m in defence mode 24/7 for no real reason and I have no control over it. My body will fill with adrenaline and when this happens my brain says “ what the hell is going on, I’ m not scared or angry, just relax” . Something is malfunctioning. This has been going on for years and I’ ve had enough. What’ s going on?

Sounds like a form of anxiety disorder and indeed panic disorder. You describe very well the apparent dislocation between the body being switched into the Action Stations of fear, and psychologically not being scared - except eventually to be scared by feeling so scared.
Fortunately, this uually responds really well to proper treatment, so arrange to see a psychiatrist for a proper assessment and diagnosis, and then discuss treatment options, which should include both medications which ca help to re-regulate these chemical outbursts, and CBT style counselling to help you to more directly regain emotional controland handle whatever might trigger some of these episodes ( some ha ve clear triggers, others may be random ).

1