Posted by: Astro | 2012-02-07

constant sleep issues

I am a very light sleeper, so any noise will wake me. I sleep with one ear plug to soften any noises. In new places I dont sleep well.
On holiday in Dec I didnt sleep well for 2 wks, I battled to fall asleep, and would wake several times during the night, each time taking upto an hour to fall asleep. Now we back home Im sleeping better but if I wake during the night I again take a long time to fall asleep.
I seem to have a good few weeks then a week or two of the same bad nights of difficulty falling a sleep and constant waking.
If a noise wakes me during the night, like my son crying I seem to get an adrenaline rush and am wide awake for an hour.
Is this normal and what can I do to get a full 8 hours uninterupted sleep. I have not been able to sleep in and catch up either because I am still breastfeeding so have to be up when my toddler is up.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

The fact that noises wake you means that you are generally in a light sleep. This is not helped by your being constantly alert for the sound of your baby.

Strange environments often worsen a sleep pattern.

Firstly, though, very few people actually need 8 hours' sleep - the average is probably closer to 7 1/2.

Also, please bear in mind that it is perfectly normal to wake every 90 minutes or so - everyone does it - they just don't remember doing it.

The real issue is how you are feeling during the day. If you are feeling OK, then you are getting adequate sleep. If you are not feeling OK, then there are various techniques which a sleep doctor can show you to help you get to sleep more easily.