Question
Posted by: crys | 2011-05-05

Constant sleep

Hi, my father has tb meningitis and his condition is very bad and he had 2 strokes. For the last 5 days he has been sleeping. He is in a subacute care facility and doctors not always accesable to speak to. Could he be in a coma, he does not respond when my mother calls.. I would appreciate your view

Expert ImageSleep Expert

I would be very concerned indeed if he is not waking. The pressure in the brain may be rising (hydrocephalus), or he may no longer be reacting to his medication. I would be much happier if you told me that he has had a brain scan and then a repeat lumbar puncture.

I think it is absolutely essential that you discuss this with the doctors.