Posted by: Kitty | 2008-11-25

Constant Sharp Pain in spot on Head

Dear Dr.

For the last 2 weeks, I have had really sharp pains on the right side of my head measured with my palm from the top of my right ear three quarters up my palm. The pain comes once every few minutes and the pain is so sharp and painful it lasts for about 2 seconds. Almost feels like a pinched nerve but comes and goes very quickly and very constant. I first thought it was because I had 4 teeth pulled last week because I am about to get braces but the pain has been there previously as well and my GP dismissed it as just migraines but it is in the same spot everytime. It is so painful that I cannot touch my head with my hands. I have tried taking Panados but they don' t work, I have tried taking Myprodols and they work for a short while but then the pain comes back.
Could there be something growing in my head or could there be other reasons for the pain? Please advise as it is getting so painful and my GP dismisses it as a Migraine.

Kind Regards,

Kitty Chen

Dear Kitty
I think you should see a neurologist - this can be a type of headache called an "ice pick headache". Panado and even other pain tablets won't really work.