Constant Otitis in 2year old

Hi Dr

My daughter is 2y and 4 months. She has had constant ear infections ever since she cut her first tooth at 12 months.

In OCt 2008 she was admitted to hospital and had grommets inserted in both ears. Well it didnt last too long, they fell out again in March.

Her ears are constantly oozing with a sticky slimy liquid (looks like something that belongs in your nose), and she always complain of pain.

Every time I take her to the GP she just get antibiotics. This to me is not the long term solution. The wholes in her ear drums from the grommets have already closed up, so I dont know where all the oozing is coming from.

What can you suggest we do?
(she is on immune boosters - Engystol and anti hestimine - Loranitide)

Dear Anonymous
Please get her to a ear nose and throat specialist. Gromets tend to "grow" out and needs to be replaced every now and then. She probably has an underlying chronic allergic rhinitis that needs chronic treatment to reduce the phlegm forming, sometimes nasal steroid nosedrops are needed. If her ears are draining, the ear drum is perforated and she will probably also be suffering from hearing loss.

I picked up a virus which made me quite sick and affected my leg muscles. 10 days later and the virus has now dissapeared but I still have very sore upper leg muscles in fact it is worse now. Do I need to worry or will it pass