Posted by: Ellen | 2010-10-29

Constant nausea

My 5 year old son started to vomit 1-3 times a day just over a week ago. We took him to see our gp, who diagnosed a stomach virus. There was however no improvement, and we took him back 2 days ago. He had pneumonia about a month ago and was heavily medicated. The doctor now suspects that the medication may have caused an irritation to his stomach, and is the cause. After 2 days of treatment however, still no improvement. The vomiting mostly happens about an hour after breakfast, although other times during the day too. What is the next step?

I suggest that you take your child to a paediatrician as soon as possible. It is possible that there is irritation of the stomach lining causing nausea, vomitting and bloating of the abdomen but it is also possible that the medication caused damage to his liver and thus in turn cause the constant nausea.

The paediatrician will have to do blood tests and might ask for a gastroscopy to evaluate his stomach.