Posted by: Lydia | 2011-09-26

constant music in ears

I an 70 years old .The issue I have is constant music ringing in my ear day and night. I hear it very clearly and it is very annoying. Do u have any idea what could be causing this and is it common? I do have high blood pressure. Just in case that information helps. I don''''t have any mental health issues. I know one would wonder with something like this. Thank you

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Lydia

I think you may be suffering from tinnitus, a condition were the patient is aware of the sensation of sound in the ear, without an external stimulus. It is a rather common complaint, but the diagnosis can only be confirmed after an ENT examination, which may include an audiogram performed by an audiologist. Sometimes a condition may be identified that requires treatment. Conditions such as hipertension may play a role, so that should be well controlled. In certain cases no clear reason may be identified. It is important that you avoid loud sounds, comlpete silence, as well as excessive intake of stimulants (ie coffee, etc.)
I suggest you see an ENT for an examination. If loss of hearing plays a role, you may even benefit from an hearing aid, as that would stop the sound, and assist with the hearing. That is why the audiogram is necessary.