Question
Posted by: Oelala | 2012/02/02

Constant hunger

I''m constantly hungry!! Is there anyting out there that can help, I''m so fed-up!!!! I know tablets aren''t the best but I''m desperate for help, I need to stink my tummy.

HELP, HELP

Oelala

Dear Oelala
If you are constantly hungry, then you are probably not getting sufficient energy and/or carbohydrates from your diet. If you are using a very-low-energy diet or a very-low-carb diet, consider using one of the balanced diets on this Website. You can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise like jogging for 30 min a day. To tighten up your tummy it is also recommended that you do targeted tummy exercises such as sit-ups. Ask Fitness Doc for a set of tummy trageting exercises that you can do at home.

5
Posted by: Gail | 2012/02/10

I was a very poor eater as a child - in part because I did not want to be distracted from what I was doing but there were other factors. My advice would be to see a GP after you have consciously documented everything you put into your mouth for a good week.
Many factors lead us to eat or not eat and it would be important to note whether you are eating for an emotional reason or stress or boredom. Food can be a reward or a consolation for feelings of inadequacy but it can also have a physiological reason. In summer especially heat can make us think we are hungry when in fact we are thirsty so if you don''t drink enough water this will leave you feeling miserable as well as dehydrated and tired and ... It affects your concentration. It is vital to check for underlying chemical and physiological causes such as blood sugars, hormone imbalances, underactive thyroid. Ask your family if Diabetes runs in the family. Avoid processed foods unless you have nothing else. Change your shopping list and only keep foods which keep you feeling full for longer. No soda, no soft drinks even diet variety, no wine or beer. Eat regularly three times a day and especially in the beginning have healthy snacks like almonds or fruit to satisfy those hunger pangs. The more chewing it requires the healthier it is.. Don''t think of this as a diet because that implies going without things you enjoy. It has to be a lifestyle adjustment done day by day until you do it naturally without weighing and thinking and then you actually feel sick when you go back to your old ways. Aim for one day at a time and when you achieve it you feel more selfworth and motivated to do another day. Exercise is very important and doesn''t need to be a gym contract. You can do a lot of things at home for cardio like dancing or working in the garden or housework.

Good luck.

Reply to Gail
Posted by: E. Labuschagne | 2012/02/10

I would like to refer you to recent comments by Dr Tim Noakes. It was posted on the Solal Technologies website( Also on fb). High intake of carbohydrates causes blood sugar imbalances. Fill up with protein and good fats to curb cravings.

Reply to E. Labuschagne
Posted by: RD Magda Pieters | 2012/02/09

Sometimes it may be a blood sugar imbalance... so please check for metabolic Syndrome or Diabetes Mellitus 2... one out of six people suffers from it, (and doesnt even know it). Blood sugar irregularities can upset your hunger-satisfied feelings.... Or contact a Registered dietician to help you. Search ADSA to find one near you.

Reply to RD Magda Pieters
Posted by: SUSAN | 2012/02/09

MY GRANDCHILD FIVE YRS OLD IS ALSO CONSTANT HUNGRY. AT ONCE HE WILL EAT A CUP OF SOUP WITH SIX SLICES OF BREAD TEN MIN LATER HE WILL ASK AGAIN FOR FOOD. HIS WEIGHT IS 33 KG

Reply to SUSAN

Dear Oelala