Posted by: concerned wife | 2010-04-09

constant heartburn

Hi doc,

My hubby age 48 has recently been through the ringer and all sorts of rather unpleasant test were done to investigate rectal bleeding and weeing blood. (diagnosis, no cancer but uncertainl what it was) For the past 2 weeks he has constant heartburn and no over the counter meds make a difference. He is adamant he is not going back to the Dr as A medical aid is finished and B. " they never find anyting anyway" . I am so concerned. Family history is that his Gran, Uncle and Father have all died of cancer, i.e. breast, and pancreatic. Is there maybe another explanation for the heartburn, other than my nightmare of cancer. He is currently under immense stress and yes he does smoke about 10 a day, has the occasional drink and is also about 15 kilo''s overweight. I know it is impossible for you to make a diagnosis but please tell me, is there anyting that you can think of that could casue the heartburn.

Many thanks.

I strongly suggest that he consults a gastroenterologist for a gastroscopy to evaluate if he is suffering from mere reflux or a hiatus hernia causing his heartburn. Smoking, drinking and being overweight, as well as stress factors, will definately worsen his symptoms. He will therefore, have to change his lifestyle to no smoking, drinking and start with a balanced diet and exercise.

Did he try Gaviscon Advanced?