Posted by: Angela | 2009-08-13

Constant headaches

I suffer from painful headaches,I wear glasses. Sometimes they go on for days and they really poundin and very painful,i feel nausea and cant stomach much.I' ll try takin pain killers or headache pills still no change,they can last for week. Is it something i need to be very worried about? Do i really need to go to the headache clinic for evaluation.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Angela,

Everyone suffering from headache as you are should have a neurological evaluation to make sure that there is nothing serious that can perhaps be treated if detected in time. Fortunately the vast majority of headache sufferers do not have a neurological problem, as the pain most often comes from the structures outside the skull not inside.

With regard to going to The Headache Clinic for evaluation, this is a choice that you have to make if you have no neurological problem. You can choose to go on living with the pain, or you can choose to have a proper diagnosis and treatment so that your quality of life can return to normal.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).