Posted by: Mark | 2012-02-28

Constant flu-like symptoms and fatigue

Hi, For the past +- 7 weeks I have developed a " virus" , the doctor cannot confirm which one it is  it is characterisded by constant lethargy, no energy and constant flu-like symptoms  at times it breaks out into full blown flu but never quite goes away. This has begun to effect my life  I play in a band, have two small kids. I have forced myself to lift weights, strangely enough this does not make me feel any worse, but not any better either. Are there viruses that never go away or is their light at the end of the tunnel? Can one request to be hospitalised to run the necessary tests as the medical aid refuses to pay for the more advanced viral tests? Thank you.

Yes, unfortunately, there are viruses that never quite go away, especially the Coxsakie virus. Infection is life long and there is no real treatment. You will not be admitted for further tests, as the medical aid will not pay for further investigations and there must be a sound reason for admission.

Posted by: bob | 2012-03-03

I have had fatigue and light flu like symptoms for the last 7 days. No improvement but no worsening of symptoms either.

I struggle to wake up in the mornings, eyes feel puffy and swollen and watery at times.

I get a 7 - 8 hr sleep but on waking , still feels like I have not rested.

I have a sore throat and a scruffy chest, with some phlegm build up and a scratchy dry cough.

I have some muscle fatigue, especially lower back.

Slight light headedness at times.

I have lost my appetite to some extent and even an hour after meals, I get the empty stomach feeling,

Heartburn is also more prevalent.

Can this be a virus?

Reply to bob