Posted by: sleepy | 2009-02-24

constant fatigue

For the past two months I' ve been experiencing CONSTANT fatigue. I' ll sleep for 8 hours at night and then ' nap'  the next day for another 3. I have a very busy lifestyle so this is becoming a major problem as I just can' t keep up anymore! I use to be able to manage a whole day perfectly with only 5 hours of sleep. I' m 24 and already going grey all over which is strange because it doesn' t run in hte family. I' m also losing a lot of hair, my underarm hair has halved in the last year. My doctor tested me for Iron, Thyroid, glucose and insulin and everything is normal. She suggested an anti depressant for energy. Yet I can' t agree to this because I' m happy, well adjusted and doing well otherwise.
What else can be causing these symptoms? I' m also struggling to loose weight which wasn' t a problem a few months ago and my nails have become very brittle. My KP has also flared up dramatically, ie getting the bumps on my stomach.
Any ideas? Or can you maybe refer me to a specialist in Pretoria?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Sleepy

The symptoms you describe certainly do sound very much like a hypothyroid situation. Has your GP tested your thyroid antibody status? Raised thyroid antibodies are an indication of autoimmune cellular 'onslaught' on the thyroid gland and is an indication that you are, at this stage, subclinically hypothyroid and heading towards a clinical hyporthyroid situation.

Usually in the subclinical state one responds well to supplementation with tyrosine.

My suggestion would therefore be to check the antibodies and if raised start on tyrosine immediately.

If not please email me at for further discussion.

Posted by: antjie | 2009-03-20

I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia - every morning it feels like a truck hit me, the day is endless and I can' t get to bed early enough. To make a long story short - I had to quit my job because of it - I know work from home.

If you guys want - email me - we can support each other.

Take Care

Reply to antjie
Posted by: Deborah | 2009-03-09

Go and get tested for the coxsackie virus. I had and still have some tired days. Hair fell out and now has stopped.Thank goodness.Also gone a bit grey but I am in my forties.I have alwys had tons of energy. Very frustrating! Hope this helps as apparently there is not much one can do. Take buffered Vit C (in powder foramat each day to build up your immune system.Good luck.

Reply to Deborah