Question
Posted by: Margie | 2008/08/28

Constant Cough / Throat Infection

I have a Foxy that is 12yrs old and he has a constant cough. Have taken him to a Vet and we tried medication e.g. Cephalexin and cortisone. It is NOT Kennel Cough, my other dog is not infected. He has had this now for about 5 months. Can you tell what the cause for this cough is and what remedy, if any, is there. Thank you

Dear Margie

Possibly congestive heart failure even a growth in the lungs. Change vets and if he does not recommend a chest x-rays, repeat the change vet cycle till you find a decent one.

5
Posted by: Mawandza | 2009/01/14

My mother has been coughing for the past 4 years now. She has been to the doctor who has done all the tests one can thinks of i.e. Broncities, TB, but they all came out clear. She says she gets a tingly feeling in her throat then she start coughing up a storm. This has going on for a while now and it pains us not knowing whats wrong or who can help her. The doctors give pills and medication but nothing helps.
Please assists us in adving what could be wrong and which doctor/specialist in South Africa (Johannesburg) we can visit to get help for her.

Looking forward to your soonest response.

Mawandza

Reply to Mawandza
Posted by: Margie | 2008/08/29

Thank you all for the replies and info. My vet has suggested that if this cough persists then maybe Kaz (the foxy) should swallow the camera.

Reply to Margie
Posted by: Chill | 2008/08/28

The cause of the cough needs to be found. It could indeed be a cardiac thing, or an infection, which by now would be pretty chronic - or there could be another cause. That' s the only way to know for sure what the right treatment would be...

Reply to Chill
Posted by: riaan | 2008/08/28

Get x ray of heart might be water build up due to enlarged heart,valves not working because of pets age.

Reply to riaan
Posted by: Shirley | 2008/08/28

My dog Lady has the same problematic cough as the Foxy owned by Margie. It is an ongoing problem. Whilst she is on a cortisone tablet (Doxitab/Ranclav and Prednisone) at times she is fine but as soon as she is off her medication she coughs and due to the continuous taking of the cortisone tablets (besides having had an injection) it has made her fat. What alternative is there?
She is 15 years old and also gets arthritis now and then.
Could you please help " Lady" ? She is just like her name!!
Shirley Nel

Reply to Shirley