Posted by: Vilma | 2011-10-26

For a long time now I''ve noticed that I''m the only one who can smell something burning constantly, like the smell at the start of a braai, and no one else in my company can smell it. I get it at home and at the office, sometimes in shopping malls. I read in an old Reader''s Digest that this could be a sympton of heart problems - I''ve had ECGs and that didn''t pick up anything - can you shed any light on this

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Vilma

Your sense of smell is situated high up in the nasal passage, as the nerve for smell (olfactory nerve) leaves the brain through the Cribiform Plate, and enters the nose high up in the roof of the nose. To sort out problems related to smell, you should have an ENT examination of the nasal passage, with an endoscope.
Your doctor may even order a CT scan to evaluate the anterior cranial fossa (the front part of the brain and upper part of the nose).