Posted by: Jennifer | 2010-01-25

consistency for first time exercising

Hi Fitness Doc

I have joined the gym for the 1st time in my life, I am about to turn 31, my weight is 72kg, height = 164cm. So I am overweight and pear shape.

The trainer has suggested i do a lot of cardio, i started with 15min on the treadmill, 10 min rowing, 10 min cross train and 10 min cycling. I think I will get there ito fitness but i just need to increase the intensity as i go along but it is really hard, u can imagine having never exercised before. I am determined to make the gym a part of my life and will work hard not to quit.

Please tell me if you think I will be able to lose the weight with the plan as it is? My other question is, I intend going to the gym at least 4 times a week, does it matter how many days I skip or should i be consistent and perhaps not go 4 days consecutively then skip 3 days in a row?

Hi Jennifer

I think you have a good starting point and now you just need to give it time. I appreciate that you want guaranteed answers, but they don't exist. Only principles, and in principle, you're doing the right kind of training and you have realised that you need to increase intensity as you get fitter, and that's what is needed.

Four times a week is perfect, my advice is to go two days on, one day rest, because the 4th day will be tough early on - high risk of injury and so forth. So rather take a day off for every 2 of training.

For now though, focus on fitness - if you get fitter, you'll see other results as well, and fitness is the one that changes the soonest, so it provides the best source of motivation.