Question
Posted by: funkyheart | 2010-09-28

considering leaving

if my husband has moved us down to cape town and things have just gotten worse and i want to leave what are my rights. I am earning less than 1/2 than in jhb. i cant afford the flat by myself with all the other expenses and i dont want to move back to jhb kids love it here and are well settled. i feel he emotionally abuses me screaming and shouting in front of the kids how bad and lazy i am, calling me fithy dirty names. even calling the police to remove me for tresspassing. i have had enough over 8 years he has left me 11 times

Expert ImageFamily law expert

You did not mention how you are married, i.e COP or out of community. Your spouse will be liable for maintenance of the children if they are not self supporting (you did not mention their ages) and you may claim personal rehabilitative maintenance for a period as a result of the lesser salary you now earn. If your husband abuses you, you may consider bringing a domestic violence interdict. For more info you can mail be as per the below email.

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross
bertus@divorceattorney.co.za