Question
Posted by: Anri | 2012-08-21

Conserta 36mg

Hallo Prof Simpson

I am 36 year old and use Conserta 36mg for the past 8 months. To be honest.......this is NOT my prescription, but somebody elses.

Previoulsy i only used it for when i really need to consentrate. For study and exams. But now it is everyday. It just make me feel like i am doing more during the day and i am more focussed. And for the weightloss benefits.

I want to know what is the good the bad and the ugly for this type of medication, if i dont really need it? What is the long term negative effects?

Thank you for your time.

I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time, but it is absolutely NEVER EVER a good idea to take ANY form of medicine that was prescribed for someone else - it is highly unlikely to help you, and could cause serious problems. Concerta is NOT reliably helpful in improving concentration in anyone, and not in someone who does not have properly diagnosed ADHD. It has no benefit at all for weight-loss and is not recommended for that puirpose by anyone competent.
O suggest you stop taking it ( and how do you get it - either there's an irresponsible doctor prescribing it who should be in big trouble, or he is prescribing it for someone who SHOULD be taking it, but is instead feeding it to you. Either way, not good.
To improve concentration and exam performance, see a CBT style psychologist for help with concentration and study methods. If you have a weight problem, see a good dietician and get on a good diet and exercise programme. Don't use Concerta whihc is not meant for either of these situations, and could cause harm.

1