Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/03/11

Connected?

Dear Doc. Would like to find out if my tubes could be re-connected. I am 39 and my tubes are in good ''condition''. They were cut 13 yrs ago after my caesar. If so, could this be done laparoscopically or would it be a major operation? How long would one have to wait afterwards before trying to conceive? Many thanks!

Dear Sam

Reanastomosis of the fallopian tubes is only advisable if there is an adequate length that maybe obtained after a reversal can be performed. This however can only be determined by a laparoscopy. If on laparoscopy the doctor has assessed that a reversal is possible and that the fallopian tube length will be reasonable then you should be able to go ahead with the reanastomosis. Whether this procedure can be done laparoscopy or by laparotomy will be determined by the surgeon’s expertise and as well as the anatomy of the genital tract at the time of the laparoscopy. It should be pointed out that the success rate to try and achieve a pregnancy after a reversal would be around the region of 30%. However you need to bear in mind that you are 39 years old and this would certainly have an impact in the success rate of achieving a pregnancy and therefore the success rate of 30% in your particular case might be much lower.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/03/17

Dear Sam

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert