Question
Posted by: Thomas | 2011-06-12

Congested nose, mucous in throat???

I am a 52 year old male. For the past 8 years I awaken every morning with a congested nose and when I brush my teeth straight after getting up, I clear about a table spoon of mostly clear, but thick mucous from my throat. This condition has caused me to awaken with puffiness under lower eyeslids, which now seldom clears up. My GP has prescribed a 3 month course of Dazit and Avamys, to which I have been completely adhearant. This medication has however made no difference, neither worsening nor aleviating this condition.
I travel regularly domestically and outside the country and other environments make no difference. Lately I also get inflamed/infected nasal walls just inside the nares. Please help!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Thomas

You have been treated for allergic rhinitis, and if the condition has not cleared on the treatment, it may be that some form of chronic sinusitis. You would need to see an ENT surgeon for a full examination. it may be that you require longterm treatment for a chronic infection. You will need a CT scan to evaluate the sinus cavities, as a possible source of chronic infection is possible.
Nasal douches of salt and bicarb may be helpful to loosen the mucous until you see the doctor. (1t salt, 1t bicarb on 500ml of water, you may also add 1t sugar if needed.)