Question
Posted by: Annie | 2009/12/14

Confusion over HIV test results - please help

I am confused by my HIV test results and was hoping you could clarify them for me. In October I went to my doctor for an HIV test, when I got the results he told me all was ok and I didn' t think about it again. Last week I was looking through my files and found the result and just had a look at it. It says Test: HIV Markers Test Type 1 and 2 3rd Generation, Result Non Reactive. What confuses me though is the comment underneath all this which says: The serological findings of the abvoe patient indication a reactive ELISA test for HIV. This result should be regarded as a screening test. This seems to contradict the Result. So then I went for another HIV test, this one said Test: HIV(Abbott 4th Gen) Result Negative. What does this all mean, I am now very confused and concerned.

Thanks for your answers.

Hallo Annie
A non reactive test is a negative test. And the confirming test was also negative, so you don't have HIV.

They always do 2 tests - a Elisa and a Western blot, as one gets false positive Elisa's now and then. So in your case your first Elisa may have been positive, but on retest and with Westernblot it was negative ( i.e. false positive Elisa first time)

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/12/14

Hallo Annie

Reply to cyberdoc