Posted by: Daph | 2009-07-27

Confusing periods

We have been trying for baby no 2 since Dec 2007 with no luck after having no difficulties with baby 1. From April to June I have been taking fertomed but stopped taking it as it made me feel very ill. I have always had very heavy periods lasting for about 5 days but all of a sudden this month it changed. For 3 days I only new there was bleeding when I wiped after going to the loo as it was not enough to make a mess in my inderwear. Then for two days it increased a bit but to be honest it was so little over the 2 days that one sanitary pad whould have done the job nicely.

Do I dare dream to be pregnant or is this due to the meds going out of my system? I am paranoid already watching for pregnancy symptoms!

Dear Daph

I would suggest that a pregnancy test be done as soon as possible as this may be an indication of early-threatened miscarriage or even an ectopic pregnancy. However should the pregnancy test be negative then the possibility of a persistent ovarian cyst should be ruled out by means of ultrasound scan. Occasionally this kind of menstrual abnormality may be seen in patients as a first sign of other hormonal imbalance such thyroid problems or even prolactin related problems and these should be tested for after ruling out any ovarian cyst.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Posted by: chixy | 2009-07-29

how odd, it seems we have the similar problem! What can it be?

Reply to chixy