Posted by: 6Nov | 2009-11-06

confused symptoms

My mother has swollen ankles (more in the one leg) and also complains of cramps and slight pain in her calves. She has OA in her knees and fractured her tibia in 1998. she is currently 65 and obese. im worried about the link between swollen ankles and heart problems (she has been having palpatations), but am a bit confused about the cramps. This isnt symptomology of a thrombus surely? what can i do in the meantime to help her? (please dont just say " go see a dr' ).

thanks a million

Unfortunately, you will have to consult a doctor, in order to have the necessary tests done. All that I can advise is to elevate her legs to reduce the swelling and the pain. She can use Magnesium and Calcium supplementation for the cramping and pain in her legs.

There are many factors that can cause swollen legs and it will have to be examined to have the correct diagnosis made and to be adequately treated.