Posted by: berni | 2009-09-14

confused please help

I have been working for my boss for the past 17 years. He has put the house we work from on sale and then decided to rent it out. Last week someone came to sign a lease to rent the house for a year from Nov 1. My boss has not yet officially told me what is happening, I get my info from overhearing him on the telephone or when he speak to someone. I think my boss is going to move to the countryside. I would like to know what my rights are. And if he retrenches me what payout I must get. Also if the new owner decides to keep me working for him, must my current boss still pay me out

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

You are entitled to certain rights in terms of Section 189 of the Labour Relations Act. This indicates that you must be consulted before any dismissal takes place.

If your boss is preparing to retrench you (dismiss for operational requirements) he has an onus ( a duty) to speak to you beforehand and consult with you with regard to many issues.

Over and above this even if there is a fair retrenchment, you are entitled to full notice pay plus one week's pay per completed year of service.