Question
Posted by: Sam | 2009-02-23

Confused on provera

Hi dr. Ive postd b4. Dr put me on provera, have regular 26day cycle. Dr sed he giving me provera to take cysts away. Have pcos but dnt have insulin or thyroid. Progesterone he sed was ok just abit low.nly have cysts on one ovary. Went on provera on cd 22 last mnth but startd bleedin on cd26 when it was due. Dr sed to start provera again when stop bleeding which was 5days later. When i was suppose to ovulate i did have symtom ie clear discharge on day 11 n 12. On cd17 and 12days into provera when i wiped i had a brownish red discharge n few hrs later was bright red.sory for so much detail. N nothing after that. Cmpletd provera on saturday ie cd18. Could me spotting before cmpletin the provera be implantation bleeding or is this normal. Feel nauseas,headache and tender breasts. Could this just b bcause of the provera and when should i expect to start bleeding. Sory for lng post.cnt get hold of my dr. Thanx in advance.it realy apreciate it.

Dear Sam

You do have some symptoms suggestive of a pregnancy such as nausea, headache and tender breast and I suggest you do a pregnancy test to exclude e this first. However it is possible that the Provera can in addition also give you these types of symptoms. You would generally have a bleed about 3 to 5 days after stopping the Provera. My only concern is that I am not sure as to why Provera is being used in this manner. Please consult with your doctor so that he can give you the reasons for this. If your cycles are normally regular and you progesterone level was okay then this would indicate that you are ovulating on your own and you may not necessarily need the extra progesterone.

Answered by: Dr Y. M. Dasoo