Question
Posted by: Michael | 2012-04-03

confused by my body

This is my first post here and I am probably going to catch some heat, but I have a very weird question. Since I was 13(now28) my body has been a thing of extreme confusion to me. I.E. i feel as if there are parts of it missing or things that aren''t supposed to be on it. Like my chest, I know and can feel that there are supposed be breasts there but there isn''t, and i know and feel that there i have the wrong gender parts between my thighs. when i shave i shave everything , and i love to wear female clothes(no sexual pleasure or response while doing it) it just feels natural.

With all of that said, any idea what is going on with me? I''m driving myself crazy. I feel i should act one way but because i was born a guy i can''t act the way that is natural for me. Any Advice?
thanks MJH

You could only catch heat or criticism from very ignorant and prejudiced people, so don't worry about that.
YOu seem to be describing a form of gender identity problem, though it could also be a somewhat different form of disordered body image / dysmorphia ; and in various forms it isn't rare. The place to start would be to consult a good local psychologist for a thorough discussion and assessment of the situation. Sometimes the element of confusion can be usefully sorted out by psychotherapy, sometimes it becomes clear that adjustment in how you see yourself can be achieved.
Some people unwisely try to move straight towards seeking gender re-assignment surgery or some similar more major and drastic intervention - not only is that unwise because it might not be as helpful as you might imagine, but also because any surgeon with any sense, would insist on not only a psychologist's assessment but also a period of therapy before even thinking of surgery. Otherwise there is a high risk of surgery that changes the body and still leaves you even more miserable within it.

3
Posted by: Liza | 2012-04-04

You''re confused because what society sees as ''normal'' seems to exclude your own very valid feelings. Ask yourself - what is normality really? It''s just a preconceived set of notions about how people SHOULD think, feel and act - not how they really think, feel and act. Your feelings are normal for you. Find a psycholgist and explore where you want to go from there.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Hmmm | 2012-04-04

Don''t see anything weird with your question - or why you would catch some heat because of it. I have heard of people who feel this way before and they end up with a sex change operation and all is well. I think they go to psychologists first and really axplore what they are feeling and then save up some money and go for it.

Reply to Hmmm