Posted by: The Dane | 2009-08-18

Confused by great dane

I bought a seven week old great dane puppy. I took the puppy to the vet for first shots and deworming on Friday. Problem is - when the puppy has finished a stool he would then eat his own stool again. I am feeding him Hills Science plan " large breed puppy"  at the moment. Could it be the food? Advice please

The Dane

Chill gave you good advice.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-08-18

Loads of dogs do this, and it doesn' t do them any harm, although of course we consider it to be utterly disgusting. Just try to deny him the opportunity of doing this by cleaning up pronto - if you see him, gently move him away and say ' no' . He may learn - but many dogs do this simply because they seem to like it. Consensus seems to be it' s nothing to do with their diet, or with nutritional deficiencies.

Sometimes, adding various things to their food makes their poo unpalatable - someone once told me, put in a chunk or two of tinned pineapple. Didn' t help for that particular dog, but you could try it.

I take it the pup is on the LARGE breed puppy food? He should be on this until he' s 18 months old - but I' m sure your vet will have told you that.

Reply to Chill