Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2010/08/02

Confused about pap smear

I went to see my gynae last week for a routine check up but also because I was having a little bit of a discharge, itching and slight smell - nothing too bad. When she examined me she said it looks as if I have a bit of thrush. I had my pap smear done. BUt when the results came back it said it was normal. I don''t understand how a pap smear can be normal if I have thrush. Surely that should show up on the smear? Sorry, I would ask my gynae but she''s been impossible to ge hold of.

That also makes me question just how accurate the smear can be because if it misses thrush, maybe it will miss cervical cancer!

Thanks!

The pap smear is designed to look for cancer cells by a technique called cytology. This is not the best way of detecting infections. Also the thrush may be in the vagina only and not the cervix, so it would not necessarily be picked up on a pap smear.

4

Posted by: ANonymous | 2010/08/03

OK - thanks very much! Hm, wonder why she didn''t suggest that!

Reply to ANonymous
Posted by: J | 2010/08/03

Hi. In order to find out if you have thrush or another infection the gynae would have to take a swob and send it to the lab.

Reply to J
Posted by: Purple | 2010/08/02

A pap smear doesn''t test for thrush. A pap smear will be abnormal if there are precancerous or otherwise abnormal cells present. It is a test for cervical cancer.

Thrush you should be able to notice for yourself or your doctor will be able to see it, as s/he seems to have done.
You can get something over the counter for this or ask your doctor to prescribe something. You can get treatment for this from your GP and don''t have to see the gynae for thrush.

Reply to Purple