Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2009/11/26

Confused about diet??

I really feel confused about what I should eat. I' m a 50 year old woman with a BMI of 23. Not overweight but have gained a couple of kilos in the last year which I put down to age mainly. (I' m not on HRT or any other hormones). I exercise 3x week and have always eaten healthily and sensibly. I would like to try to lose these extra kilos (approx. 3.5) but read so much confusing info. Some recommends cutting carbs, some indicates that we need to keep up carbs. I really am at a loss and, as my metabolism has changed, my body is not responding as it did when I was younger. How much carb do I need. Do I need to visit a dietician and if so, how do I go about finding a reputable one?

Dear Debbie
People do tend to gain weight slowly over time as they get older at the rate of approx. 1 kg per year. It is also true that the body's basic metabolic rate tends to slow down. To counter at this, it is advisable to reduce your energy intake slightly by cutting down on high-energy foods like fats. Fats and oils contain 37 kJ per gram compared to 16 kJ per gram for carbohydrates. It is thus more logical to go easy on fats, oils and fatty foods, than to cut out carbs on their own. eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). The second thing that is essential to halt steady weight gain as one gets older, is to increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for about 30 min a day (if possible). If you feel that you would like to consult a dietitian which is always an excellent idea you can visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area.

1

Dear Debbie