Posted by: confused mom | 2008-11-27

confused about behaviour

My baby is turning 3 years old, she was at a educational psychologist and this lady assured me my girl is healthy and happy, I have only on concern...

She like to pack and sort things in a row, she would take all the utensils from the kitchen drawer and either pack it in a perfect line right across the kitchen or where ever floor... after a while she would then pick it up and put one in the exact center of each floor tile ...

Can you please shed some light on what this means

It may mean nothing, but it may be a sign of intelligence, maybe demonstrating her liking for order, perhaps even very mild obsessiveness ( which can be helpful in later life ). She's getting things in order, and experimenting with different systems for arranging them.

Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-28

She is a very intelligent child i am sure

Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-28

My daughter did the exact same thing. Packed EVERYTHING in lines and in order. Today she' s 11, her room is perfect. Not a thing out of place. And if her brother walks in, she tells him he can come in, but not to mess her room up. She gets straight A' s at school. She has an average of 97% and normally gets 98% for maths. I don' t quite know where the genes come in, but her dad was average at school, and I used to average about 60% at that age. Amazes me every day. Not a bad thing at all.
Mabe u also have a little boffin in the making mommy!

Posted by: CM | 2008-11-28

Mine also... and he is 4 with no signs of autism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He llikes order and patters, does not mean something is wrong with him...
relax...the kid is only turning 3 now....

Reply to CM
Posted by: Lin | 2008-11-27

Buy her wooden blocks or toy cars or a trainset. My son does the same with all his cars

Reply to Lin
Posted by: ali | 2008-11-27

it sounds very healthy to me...
mormal for a child of that age.. if not advanced. it\s abotu learning about groups/linear/uniformity etc
be glad!

Reply to ali

Autistic children tend to pack their toys in a row .......... but as it could only be co- insidental cause you had her checked out and they would have picked it up.