Posted by: lavender | 2013-02-04

My brother has just called it quits with his long time girlfriend of 16 yrs. They have a child, a daughter of 6. He is not the easiest person to get on with, and he made this decision instantly. He is now the nicest person on this earth. I think that there is something seriously wrong here. Any thoughts

Obviously, such decisions should never be made lightly or instantly. But usually what look like "instant" decisions have been brewing for a long time. Sounds odd if he was recognized as a difficult guy to get on with and now having ended tghe relationship he seems much nicer - its possible, indeed likely, there was much more going on in the relationship, maybe straining and stressing both of them, than anyone else knew of. He will of course have to continue paying maintenance for the child, and should maintain loving contact with her, too.
But people are puzzling, especially when we're looking in from the outside, and there's not much chance of intervening usefully

Posted by: lavender | 2013-02-04

Thank you. I agree that there is so much more than meets the eye... and yes there has been alot of resentment etc... But thank you, hopefully he will open up eventually. He will have contact with his daughter every second week end, seeing that he has moved in with us. We are godparents to the child and we will be there to support them in every way we can.

Reply to lavender