Question
Posted by: confused | 2011/10/04

confused

Hi.
My psychologist has gone on a well-deserved holiday. My problem is I miss him very much. Just the thought of him not being there scares me. Have I become too dependent? There is a strong need to want to be in contact with him. I don''t understand my behaviour as there were a few times when I wanted to terminate therapy but now that he is only going to be 2 weeks away, I miss him and can''t imagine being without him. Another worrying thing is that I miss him as much as my uncle who molested me? Now that my therapist has left, I have been thinking/missing my uncle (which nauseates me afterwards). How can I be comparing the " perfect"  man to someone that I hate? Or have I been lying to myself all these years by professing my hate for my uncle, when I might actually have liked him. Why am I longing for someone that abused me and thankfully is dead? Why am I confusing the two with each other? Hope you are able to explain.

A good shrink does indeed deserve a holiday, but should anticipate that some patients will find it hard to handle, and should deal with this prospect in advance. But the extent of the feelings you describe does indeed sound as though you've become a bit too dependent on him, and again, as this so regularly happens within a psychotherpay session, every shrink should be aware of this possibility, recognize and deal with it. So discuss these issues with him when he returns.
Sounds as though you feel uneasy on your own, maybe not trusting your genuine ability to cope on your own, and feel you need some man around to give you stability. Again, a ood shrink would help you to find that within yourself.

1