Question
Posted by: Phil | 2011-09-06

Confused

Hi Doc.

Please clarify something for me, before I go mad. I''ve been weight training for many years and have focused mainly on putting on size. Now my focus is on leaning out. I have a problem that I put on fat easily and am also insulin intolerant. I''ve been advised to stick to low GI and be in a calorie def, but oddly, if I have any starch or sugar I put on fat and water almost instantly. I have been monitoring the progress for weeks and have played around with everything from GL to GI, etc. If I stick to just salad and veg for carbs then I lose about 1,5kg''s a week but if I have even a baked sweet potato then (with the process of weight and fat % monitoring) I put on fat. I''m 6ft and 106kg''s. I''m trying to get down to 97kg, and believe me when I say I train like a maniac. The problem is I battle with energy, so I cannot go for as much weight or training volume. My calories are sitting at 1800 (which is ideal for me to lose, anymore and nothing happeds, this has been tested for over 2 years). If you tell me that this is normal and how things work and that I''m on track then I''ll be fine with this, but if you feel that there is something wrong, please let me know.

Thank you.

Dear Phil
Under normal circumstances athletes who train to lose fat need to do plenty of aerobic exercise (not working with weights). To sustain aerobic workouts like jogging, skipping and rowing for long periods, most athletes require a high carbohydrate intake to replenish their muscle and liver glycogen stores, which then act as a source of fuel for the aerobic exercise. In the case of an athlete with insulin resistance, one would advise the use of low-GI carbs to keep insulin and blood glucose levels steady. From what you say, your metabolism seems to be totally different (possibly due to all the body building you have done in the past esp if this entailed using certain supplements). I personally believe that you gain water and not fat when you eat low-GI carbs! But if you find that you cannot eat any carbs except fruit and vegetables, and do not have sufficient energy to sustain a strenuous aerobic exercise programme, then you will have to lose that weight over a longer period based on your lower energy levels. It is also important to keep in mind that it takes TIME to reduce your body fat% and weight and to switch your metabolism round from gaining mass to shedding it.
So persevere and train according to your energy capacity and you will lose that weight.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-09-06

Dear Phil