Question
Posted by: cookie | 2010/02/02

confused!

I had cervical cancer last year which was hopefully all removed.I have to have a hysterectomy this year.I already have a daughter and is not sure I want another child.This is my last chance,though.I am in a stable relationship.I am scared that if I have a hysterectomy before having a baby,I will regret it for the rest of my life

I think i would be wise for you to see a good local counsellor, to work out your feelings and your best interests. I understand that before taking a medically necessary step which will end your child-bearing years, you want to be sure about whether you really want to have another child. Don't have one just because of this unusual circumstance, rather than because you truly want another child, can bring him or her up hapilly and well, and would have considered this anyway, even if a hysterectomy were not in the offing.

1