Posted by: Jen | 2009-06-19

Hi doc.
Im just very confused here. Last Year i went thru a really traumatic experience in my family which turned my health around real bad. I lost around 10kgs in a week. My hair started falling &  i was a mess. Slowly i tried getting myself back together. I was 63kgs b4 i lost weight. i dropped down to 52kgs but did however manage to gain 2kgs which brings me to 55kgs now. my hair is really thin now, theres bits of bald patches. I got my Thyroid checked &  its normal so i dont know y i cant gain weight now. I eat healthy, exercise, i eat alot &  whatever i eat, i dont seem to be gaining weight. I would like to get back in the 60' s with my weight but i dont know y i cant. what could be the problem. Also for my hair loss, what can i do about it?

I suggest that you consult your doctor for a full examination and some blood tests, as there might be other reasons, except a thyroid problem for you being unable to gain weight. Your doctor will also be able to assess se of your hairloss.

It is possible that your healthy eating and living is controlling your weight. Ask your doctor if your BMI (body mass index) falls in your normal parameters.